Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Full Sutarday!

    Why are you reading this?  You're missing rowing! Or handball! Swimming, soccer, rugby.....and lots more.

      So.  What did you think of the Opening Ceremonies?  Pretty cool, I'd say.  I liked the non-Wright Brothers guy, I had not heard of him, but I have to assume it was probably cooler to fly over Copacabana than Kitty Hawk, no offense to our Carolinian readers.
     What I saw of the Ceremonies was nice.  I really thought the environmental aspect was smart, but I can't get out of my mind the articles I have read about the pollution issues in the water right in Rio.  The Games have been known to be a catalyst for change in the past.  Any effort to plant ten thousand trees is good, by me.

      A Rio actress named Regima Case said, "look for similarities, and celebrate differences," which sounds like a really good idea, to me.  A recent Advocate article named 40-some-odd Out athletes at these Games, and I would bet the true number is way higher.  At a point in time where LGBT concerns are pretty high, I applaud anybody who makes a strong decision to speak up.

     If you get a chance, check out the sport of handball.  It is a lot bigger in Europe and Asia and South America, but what a fast, cool game!  I will be pulling for the Netherlands against France today, the women play in just over an hour, as this is being written.  23 year old left back Lois Abbingh of Groningen is today's CoubertinsRings featured Gamer.  Go Orange!

    I miss Murtha, a lot.  I think I'll go to Disney.

2 comments:

  1. I had a place I really wanted to go today, but fell ill. So I watched some bicycle racing with a quite exciting finish, a little rowing, some men's gymnastics (which every time I have the same thought that my godson could have done that) and lots o swimming. I remember Mark Spitz and how I thought those numbers would stand forever, now he doesn't even get a mention, blown away by Mr Phelps. Now I think how can anyone beat a world record by 2 seconds (Katina Hosszu)after all these improvements in style and technology? I see Murt all the time in grandkids.

    ReplyDelete